Monday, February 9, 2009

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

This morning, Karen and I were talking about respect. We were discussing the fact that it is very important to have some people in your life that you really respect. People we respect often become the role models, and depending on the level of relationship, the coaches in our lives. The opinion of a person you respect matters to you. You value their insight and perspective.

Sometimes, I find people that seem to care about everyone’s opinion. They really struggle in life if someone disagrees with them, or Heaven forbid, doesn’t like them. That is a very hard way to live. You simply can’t please everyone, and while everyone does deserve a basic level of respect as a person and a creation of God, not everyone deserves your respect where their ideas or lifestyle is concerned. For example, I really don’t care about what a person who does not know or walk with God thinks about my Christianity, my lifestyle, or this church. Don’t get me wrong, I care about these people, I want them to experience all the wonderful things that God has for them, but I don’t care what they think of me. I may even be interested in their opinion as a means of understanding and better reaching our culture. But I will not change the way I live to suit them, or lose any sleep over their words.

Karen and I thought about what causes us to respect someone. We decided it was mostly about a person’s character. I highly respect people that demonstrate Godly character. I especially respect people that I know have gone through hard times, rejection, or unfair treatment, but have maintained their integrity through the whole thing. I respect people that in the face of chaotic and stressful circumstances, have kept their head, and continued to live by their principles. These are the people I want to emulate, and it is the opinion of these people that I really care about. I want to know what makes them tick, and I value their input into my life.

Now, respect should be the default attitude between a husband and wife don’t you think? So, what does that look like on a daily basis? Well, that’s a great question, and will make an interesting article. Maybe tomorrow or the next day.

- Now go out and make some great choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment