Tuesday, February 3, 2009

GROUNDHOG DAY

Great News! The groundhog saw his shadow! Technically, the groundhog seeing his shadow is supposed to mean six more weeks of winter. The people in Pennsylvania were saying "woe is me", but we live in Gunnison. Only six more weeks of winter means by the end of March, or mid-April at the latest, we could be riding the trails at Hartman's instead of skiing them. Sounds like good news to me.

Have you noticed that when people talk about Groundhog Day now, they always use it as a reference to something that is endless and repetitive? Obviously because that was the message of the movie Groundhog Day. But just a few years ago, that term had nothing to do with an endless cycle of sameness. That is just an example of the way language changes over time. That's why it is so important to have accurate, but modern translations of the Bible. A good translation does two things: first it understands the original meaning that the author intended to convey with the words he or she chose. Then, it brings that meaning into the language of the modern reader. Both of those elements must exist for a translation to be accurate and useful.

Postmodernism contends that the reader, rather than the author, has the right to interpret the meaning of words in any way that suits them. Applied to the Bible, that would mean that I could read the words, but decide, apart from any reference to history, or the revealed nature of God, what those words mean to me. I could even decide that some of the words are simply not relevant, because they were written in a different time period. I could also change the meaning of words to suit my personal preferences or "my personal truth" - whatever that means.

So, words are important. Understanding the roots and original meaning the Bible's text is important. And we are only looking at six more weeks of winter if that East Coast Marmot wanna-be knows what he's talking about.

Go out and make great choices!

6 comments:

  1. Nice point John - thanks for access to the blog. Which brings me to words and meanings. Why 'blog'?
    Is it from bulletin log? The internet 'lingo' has not helped in the definition and interpretation of words at all has it.
    Moses would have blogged though, I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think I'd prefer to see groundhog day in terms of the movie - which, by the way, is a funny one- rather than think that we have six more weeks of winter. Sure, it's great for you Gunnisonions (is that right?), but us Houstonians whine when the temperature reaches 45! BTW, it's a beautiful (Spring-like) 65 today!
    AMEN to having a good translation of the Word! I use the New American Standard. It is SO important to be able to read the Word as it was intended and is so sad that there are people who make the Word say what they want, for their benefit (or excuse).
    Congrats on your first blog. You're such a great writer, it is about time!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Papa - I believe It's short for web log. But I suspect you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi - We didn't know Texans could read. Welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we're blogging with Texans I'm out of here!

    :-)

    kidding of course,(depending on how they're prepared)I love Texans!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo . . . them is some fightin' words from both Poppa and the Pastor! How we're prepared? Are you thinking we're BBQ? God help us all!
    Before you put on your bibs, remember God loves Texans too. Yes, even us wild-eyed, big-haired, crazy Texans. Besides, our "can do" attitude puts most people to shame.
    Aside from all that, I'm LOVING the blog! I'l save the link to my "favorites," so I don't forget to check it. But, I will be watching you . . . you better be nice! HA!

    ReplyDelete