Friday, April 15, 2011

Train Me In Your Ways

Be blessed, GOD; train me in your ways of wise living. I'll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from your mouth; I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches. I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you, I attentively watch how you've done it. I relish everything you've told me of life, I won't forget a word of it. Be generous with me and I'll live a full life; not for a minute will I take my eyes off your road.
Psalms 119:12-17 (MSG)


Isn't it an amazing thing to know a God who doesn't just stand apart from His people and give decrees, but actually "trains us in His ways of wise living." Our God is a Father at heart. I know that more and more people have had an earthly Father that never showed them this kind of love. They may have a difficult time with that idea, but it is true - God is a great Dad. He loves every one of His kids, and He takes delight in walking through the stages of life with us, and imparting His own wisdom to us.

Our God is not a God of press releases. He does not just send us a message of counsel, encouragement, or even correction. He leads personally and counsels one-on-one in real time. He is available, He is never too tired to talk, He is ever watchful for our safety and benefit, He is gentle but not a push-over.

The precepts that God gives us to live by, are not like most of the laws and rules we are used to on earth. While many of our laws are there for our benefit, God's laws are not only life-giving, they are reflections of the way God Himself lives. Once you realize that even "The Law" is a window into the nature of God, that all of His Words are full of life, and that He has made Himself available to train you in them, it is easy to take His laws into your heart.

For example, God tells us not to murder, because He is not a murderer and He wants us to live a life that is free from anger and bitterness. He tells us not to commit adultery, because He is a person of absolute fidelity, and He wants us to share that powerful character trait. He tells us not to lie, because He is a person of His word and has no fellowship with lies. He wants us to enjoy the abundant life that comes from honest living.

God is a good God. There is no variance in that. All that He does and says is for our benefit. I strongly urge you to give Him your life-each moment of your life. Feed on His word like it was the best food that you can imagine. Read your Bible not as a book of rules, but as if you were sitting down to a banquet table with your best friend. God will be continuously generous with you, and you will enjoy a full life.

No comments:

Post a Comment