Wednesday, March 23, 2011

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ABOUT YOUR CITY?

I don’t know about you, but for me, Spring is one of the most difficult times to live in Gunnison. When most people think of Spring, they think of flowers blooming, gentle breezes through sunlit meadows, and birds chirping in trees full of brand new leaves. But here at 8000’ in central Colorado, its more like frozen brown stalks protruding from the snow, a strong, cold, west, wind driving a hard wet snow, and a couple a Ravens fighting over a piece of road-kill.

We all expect the serious cold in the winter. I think most of us have made some level of peace with that, but when late March and early April roll around, we are ready for a break. I think this it what makes springtime here seem so long and downright unjust.

I have noticed that, even more than in mid-winter, I start to hear a lot of negative talk about this valley at this time of year. Sorry to say, some of it is heard coming from my own lips. But this year, with the combination of “spring weather,” and the economic difficulties that many have been facing, the talk seems to be even worse than normal. I am writing this today as a simple reminder to all, those who live here, and those in other parts of the country, to remember that our words are powerful and we will one day give an account of them to God.

There are two verses from Proverbs that have been rolling around in my heart for the last couple of days. They are: (Proverbs 11:11) “Through the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, but by the mouth of the wicked it is destroyed.” And, (Proverbs 10:11) “The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked.”

Our words are very important for several reasons. First, they are an accurate reflection of the condition of our hearts. Sorry, no two ways about it, if I am habitually running down my home, my community, my neighbors, or my nation, no matter what the natural circumstances may be, I have been spending too much time meditating on the negative and not enough time in the Word and Presence of God – period.

Secondly, we are the people of God. We are here to speak blessing over our community, not to join in the chorus of negative talk that you can find anywhere at any time coming from the lips of those who do not regard God. Yes, I know, today is sunny and bright, but tomorrow, and for the next five days, it is supposed to snow. If we let that be a catalyst for spewing criticism, cynicism, and depression into the air, then I guess we had better like living in an atmosphere of criticism, cynicism, and depression.

Third, our faith matters to the life and future of our community. Our words are seeds that will produce a harvest for eternal life, or for death. I have heard a lot of people in recent weeks, many of them Christians, using their words to curse the economy of this county. I don’t know about you, but I am ready to see the Godly prospering in this community. I am ready to hear the victorious shouts of triumph as God’s people enjoy the fruit of believing His promises. If that is what we want, that needs to be what we are speaking, praying, and expecting.

And finally, we are called to be a thankful people. On our worst day, you and I have the privilege of living in one of the most beautiful valleys in this nation. We have a wonderful community, good friends, a strong fellowship of believers, (an amazing pastor/teacher☺), and more in the way of material blessing than 90% of the people on earth. What are we griping about again?

If you will remember to pick three things to be thankful for every day, and keep those things in the forefront of your thinking, you will find yourself living in a different world. Things might be the same, but you will be different, and you will make a difference.

We can do this. Are you with me?

Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment