Friday, December 24, 2010

The Little Things That Say I Love You

With Christmas morning just hours away, I find myself reflecting not only on the extravagance of God's grace that is reflected in the gift of His Son, but on the goodness of God that we see in His attention to the smallest details of our lives.

Tomorrow morning people all over the world, Christian and non-Christian, will open gifts given by their friends and relatives. Gifts are always displays of love to one degree or another. Often, the most precious gifts we receive are not the most expensive, but the ones that in some way communicate that the giver really knew our inmost desire. It is the gift that says "I love you enough to listen to your words, to watch your life, to know your true desires," that brings the greatest and most lasting joy to our hearts.

How many times do we hear of situations where a husband, sorry guys but we seem to do more of this than the ladies do, gets an elaborate gift for his wife, only to discover that it was not at all what she wanted? On the other hand, the husband who listens, who reads between the lines, who finds a way to communicate his care through a gift, will be richly rewarded-not that that is our motive!

When we think of the gift of God's own Son, sent to carry our sin, shame, sickness and poverty, of course we are overwhelmed by this act of love. It is an extraordinary thing for which we are eternally grateful. But what amazes me, maybe not more, but in a different way, are the many times each year that God brings something much smaller into my life that tells me that God Almighty is paying attention to, not just my needs, but my desires, my hopes, my dreams. He goes so far beyond what is necessary for salvation, He touches our lives the most intimate fashion.

So I pray that your Christmas is filled with joy; joy over your salvation, joy in the purpose that God has given to your life, joy in your family and friends, and yeah, joy in what you give and receive. But I hope that in 2011, all of us make a habit of frequently and purposefully recognizing ALL the gifts that our Father gives. Let's spend a lot of time bragging on Him, sharing His love, cherishing our interaction with Him.

Merry Christmas, and happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment