Wednesday, March 31, 2010

THE SAME NEW LIFE!

Even when we were dead (slain) by [our own] shortcomings and trespasses, He made us alive together in fellowship and union with Christ; [He gave us the very life of Christ Himself, the same new life with which He quickened Him….]

Ephesians 2:5 Amplified Bible

As we come together this month to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the defeat of sin and death, and the birth of the church, we must try to grasp the personal and inclusive nature of the work that Jesus completed on the cross. I think that sometimes, when we think about the cross, the grave, even the resurrection, we think of ancient events with which we have no personal contact. But see, we were actually there! The Son of God knew us, and planned for us, before the time of creation. When He died on that cross, he had us in mind, and held us in His heart. The Scripture says that it was for the joy that was set before Him that He endured the cross. That joy was the knowledge that His suffering was temporary, but His relationship with us would be eternal.

The Bible tells us that when He died on that cross, “Our old un-renewed self was nailed to the cross with Him… so that we might no longer be slaves to sin (Romans 6:6).” Do you ever think of yourself in those terms? I do. Especially when I am wrestling with some particular temptation toward sin, I will remind myself that the “old man” my old self, was nailed to the cross with Him. Since that old man is dead and gone, how can he still define who I am and what I do? At those times I remember that I have been born again into a new life. I am a new person, and I no longer have a nature that is permeated with sin. I just need to let that new person that Christ has created begin to live out through the members of my body. Sin no longer has the right or power to dominate our lives, because we now have the same, new, resurrection life that Jesus has!

The Scripture goes on to say that we were “buried with Him” through water baptism, so that just as He was raised to life by the glorious power of the Father, we too can live and behave in newness of life (Romans 6:4). Think of it–we CAN live in newness of life. The person that we used to be, the person that was dominated by worldly thinking and desires, died on the cross in Jesus Christ, and a brand new person rose to new life in Jesus Christ. Living a Godly life is easy when you know who you really are in Him. You don’t have to try to force new behavior out, you just live from the real you.

The best that any religion can possibly do is to give us a moral framework to try to emulate. Christianity however, is not a religion. It is a new life lived in a vital and continuous relationship with Jesus. It is us living in Him, and Him living in us. We do not have to “try” to live like Him, we can actually live in, from, and through Him. This is great news for me, because apart from Him I’m a mess–just ask my wife, she’ll tell you. Sure, I still blow it pretty frequently even now that I live in Him. But a lot of the time, when I am able to grasp the fact that I can rest in His ability, draw my strength from Him, follow His leading, I find that I can actually live beyond my own natural abilities and be the person He created me to be. You can too.

The Bible says that this new life includes something for our physical bodies too. Jesus, the Scripture says, took a terrible beating on his back. The Romans whipped him before He went to the cross. He endured that particular aspect of His suffering so that He could provide physical healing for our bodies (Isaiah 53:4, 5; 1 Peter 2:24; Matthew 8:17). God has always been a healer. In fact, in the Old Testament He referred to himself by names that meant, “God Your Healer,” and “The Rapid Stitcher.” Jesus healed people throughout His ministry, and He still does. No need to try to convince Him that we deserve to be healed for some reason; no need to try to strike a good works bargain in exchange for healing, He has already made it available for us just because He loves us. We just need to receive it by faith–awesome!

So we have a lot to celebrate in this season. Jesus has provided for us spirit, soul, body, financially, and relationally. Easter is one day each year when we pause to truly consider the magnificent implications of the resurrection. But for the Christian, every day is Resurrection Day. Enjoy your salvation today, and share it with a friend.

1 comment: